Callaway Vineyard and Winery
32720 Rancho California Road
Temecula , 92591
Mon - Sun: 10am-5pm
Callaway Vineyard and Winery Information
Top 5 Things to Know About Callaway Vineyard and Winery
- History: Ely Reeves Callaway Jr. founded Callaway Vineyard & Winery when he planted his first crop of grapes in 1969 in the Temecula Valley. His wine success shocked experts who originally believed Southern California was unsuitable for producing wine. The San Diego Callaway Vineyard & Winery created interest in Temecula as a viable wine country region.
- Hours of Operation: Callaway Vineyard & Winery in San Diego is open daily from 10am until 5pm. Guests can spend the entire day touring the winery and sampling the award winning grapes.
- Wine: From delicate desert wines to intense red wines, San Diego Callaway Vineyard & Winery produces a variety of award winning wines. The winery boasts a long list of awards for their wines, as its 2011 Special Selection Rosé of Sangiovese and 2009 Winemaker's Reserve Calliope Red alone have individually received more than 10 awards from numerous competitions.
- Tours: Knowledgeable tour guides give guests a behind the scenes look at the production of the handcrafted wine. Guests can witness the crash pad, barrel room and the fermentation cellars while learning about the step-by-step process and techniques required to create award winning wine.
- Tastings: Callaway Vineyard & Winery offers tastings from their Special Selection and Winemaker's Reserve lists in the Tasting Room. Guests are invited to sample six different wines, while helpful representatives are available to match wine to their palates and to answer any questions.
Why It's Awesome: The San Diego Callaway Vineyard & Winery is a welcoming social environment where guests can learn about the process wine making while casually sipping on fine sample wines. The vineyard invites guests to pair its award wining wines with the restaurants delicious cuisine or to celebrate a special occasion in the vineyard terrace with a view of the Temecula Valley. Callaway vineyard also encourages guests to visit the winery during the various celebrations and seminars that it offers.
- Meritage Restaurant: Pair your white wine with fish and red wine with meat at the on-site Meritage Restaurant. The restaurant serves up California cuisine mixed with Mediterranean flavors along with suggested wine pairings such as the Angus Hangar Steak with the 2009 Special Selection Cabernet Sauvignon or the Fried Calamari & Seared Ahi Flatbread Roll with the vineyard's 2009 Winemaker’s Reserve Calliope White.
- Celebrations: The Callaway Vineyard & Winery invites guests to gather on the property for weddings, meetings, corporate events and other special occasions in wine country. The vineyard provides a two-level vineyard terrace, courtyard and West Lawn with views overlooking the vines as outdoor venues, and the intimate Chardonnay Room and popular Barrel Room as indoor event spaces.
- Events: San Diego Callaway Vineyard & Winery has a packed calendar of events each month from live entertainment at the Meritage Restaurant to annual harvest celebrations. The vineyard also hosts A Taste of Wine, which are seasonal seminars lead by the Callaway winemaker Craig Larson. During the seminars guests will adopt a vine in which they will follow its growth while learning about the wine-making process and how to properly taste and store wines.
The Local Scoop: Callaway Vineyard & Winery is tucked away in the Temecula Valley wine country. The property includes 20-acres of Estate vineyards with an additional plot located near by with 50-acres dedicated to Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon grapes.
- Do Join the Legacy Club: Callaway Vineyard offers Legacy Club membership, which grants members discounts on wine selections and access to limited products and newly released wines. Members also enjoy discounts on events, tastings and tours.
- Do Use Bus or Limo Transportation: Callaway Vineyard & Winery in San Diego encourages safe transportation, but it asks guests to contact the vineyard prior to arriving by bus or limo. On Saturdays and Sundays for example, only transportation members of Temecula Valley Winegrower's Association's Responsible Partner Program will be permitted.
- Don't Search the Stores: Callaway Vineyard wine is exclusively sold at the winery and at their online store, so it's a good idea to stock up on your favorite wine selections while you're at the winery.
- Don't Miss Meritage Restaurant Catering: Meritage Restaurant offers on-site catering but also off-site customized menus, food and wine pairings and even in-home cooking demonstrations.