Old Globe Theatre
1363 Old Globe Way
(at Village Pl)
San Diego, CA 92101
Tue - Wed, Sun 12 p.m. - 7 p.m. Thu - Sat 12 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Old Globe Theatre Information
Top 5 Things to Know About The Old Globe Theatre:
- Location: The Old Globe Theatre is located in San Diego's cultural mecca Balboa Park. Balboa Park is home to an assortment of museums and galleries, which promote cultural awareness and understanding.
- History: Built in 1935, San Diego's Old Globe Theatre was modeled after the famous William Shakespeare's Old Globe in London, England. The theater was originally created as part of the California Pacific International Exposition.
- Shows: San Diego Old Globe Theatre presents a variety of performances throughout the year including the dramatic Henrik Ibsen's A Doll's House, the suspenseful A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder and the popular most-produced play in the country Good People.
- Events: The Old Globe Theatre in San Diego hosts various special events such as the Gala, Globe Guilders Fashion Show and Nights at the Globe, all of which are open to the public.
- Three Theaters: San Diego's Old Globe Theatre features three stages, the fully enclosed Old Globe Theatre, the Sheryl and Harvey White Theatre, which is an arena theatre and the outdoor Lowell Davies Festival Theatre.
San Diego's Old Globe Theatre is a historic monument in Balboa Park as it was built in 1935. The theatre was a model of the Globe Theatre in London where many of Shakespeare's plays were performed during his life span. Following the original design of the theater, San Diego Old Globe Theatre features an open-air stage with a roof over the seating area. The theatre includes three stages, a theater arena, a fully enclosed theater and an outdoor theater. The outdoor Lowell Davies Festival Theatre may cancel performances due to rain showers, but guests will receive ticket exchanges in the event of rain cancellations.
A variety of shows are performed throughout the year at The Old Globe Theatre with each show running for about a month at a time. San Diego Old Globe Theatre puts on an assortment of genres from the humorous Pygmalion to the musicals Allegiance and Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! shown during the holidays. Classic plays are also performed such as a selection of Shakespeare traditions during the Shakespeare Summer Festival hosted each year at the theater. Guests are sure to be charmed by the traditional atmosphere of The Old Globe Theatre and captivated by the professional performances.
- Do Check Out the Shakespeare Initiative Programs: San Diego Old Globe Theatre hosts Shakespeare Summer festival each year, plus Shakespeare in the Garden Lectures, Insight Seminars and Post-Show Forums to turn you into a Shakespeare buff.
- Don't Pack Snacks: In order to keep the theater in tip-top condition, guests are asked to refrain from bringing in food or drink. Guests are more than welcome to picnic in the plaza before the show at The Old Globe Theatre.