Top 5 Burger Joints in San Diego
The burger boom hit San Diego in 2011 with a mass of specialty burger joints popping up all over town. As a reglar burger Betty, I was delighted. There is nothing quite like a thick juicy burger topped with bleu cheese or mushrooms and onions to satisfy a hungry girl after a long day of surfing and running around San Diego. Sure, we are lucky to have In N' Out, arguably the best fast food burger chain in the country, but we are also home to incredible specialty (aka: fancy shmancy) burger joints offering everything from salmon to alligator burgers (yes, you read that right) to satisfy even the snootiest burger lover!
With so many incredible burger joints all over San Diego county, it's hard to choose which one's the best, so here is my list of the Top 5 Burger Joints every burger enthusiast should try in San Diego:
- Slater's 50/50 - Burgers by Design : The Slater's 50/50 craze has taken San Diego by storm! What started out as a gourmet burger joint in Anaheim has made it's way south to the streets of Liberty Station, delighting patrons and tickling taste-buds all over town. Known for the signature 50/50 patty (50% ground beef, 50% ground bacon) this tantalizing patty is the bacon lover's dream. Well, except for Slater's 'Merica Burger made from a 100% bacon patty, but unfortunately, that beast of a bacon burger was only available during the month of July. If you prefer something a little sweeter, try the award winning Peanut Butter and Jellousy Burger. Served on a honey wheat bun this specialty burger combines Sterling Silver ground beef with sweet strawberry jelly and smooth creamy peanut butter. If you're looking for a fun urban environment, great beer selection, friendly staff, and unbeatable gourmet burger, head to Slater's 50/50! 2750 Dewey Road (619) 398-2600
- Rocky's Crown Pub: Make it a group event when you head to Rocky's Crown Pub in Pacific Beach. This place has a great dive-bar feel and an "eat it how we serve it" attitude. Rocky's is a simple burger joint with cooks that know what they're doing and make the best basic burgers in town. The service is great and the old school style keeps guests coming back for more. The only downfall is this place is definitely not a secret and the lines can be brutal. But, take it from me, it's definitely worth the wait! 3786 Ingraham St. (858) 273-9140
- Hodad's: You can't miss Hodad's any sunny day in Ocean Beach. Just look for the mass of hungry people waiting outside a hole in the wall on Newport Ave. Hodad's is "the burger joint" in Ocean Beach and their stickers adorn the vehicles of many local "OBceans". The laid back vibe of this area is refelcted in the decor of Hodad's and, like it's community, it's definitely a diamond in the rough. Sure, Hodad's has a rockin' burger the size of your face, but it's the mellow atmosphere, fun locals, and amazing shakes that make this a San Diego favorite! 5010 Newport Ave. (610) 224-4623 *There is also a Hodad's located downtown at 945 Broadway (619) 234-6323
- Tioli's Crazee Burger: Now this is a burger joint unlike any other in San Diego! Two guys from Germany took over Tioli's Crazy Burger and will create a burger out of virtually anything from alligator to lamb, grilled portobella to ostrich. If you can dream it, there is a good chance they've got it at Tioli's Crazee Burger in North Park and Old Town. Not to mention they've got great draft beers and fine wines to compliment your burger dining adventure! 4201 30th Steet (619) 282-6044 and 2415 San Diego Ave (619) 269-3333
- Nicky Rottens Bar and Burger Joint: Don't let the name fool you, there is nothing rotten about the burgers at this San Diego pub. Known as the best sports bar in the Gaslamp, Nicky Rottens is nothing short of a "scene". With classic rock and today's hits blaring, this is a hot spot to catch all the best sports events and hang with the buddies after a long day. High quality ingredients, corn-fed Midwestern beef, and organic veggies set their burgers apart and make every bite a blissful burger bonanza. 560 Fifth Ave. (619) 702-8068 *Also located in Coronado at 100 Orange Ave (619) 537-0280