San Diego Zoo Safari Park
San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Escondido, CA 92027
San Diego Zoo Safari Park Promotions
San Diego Zoo Safari Park Information+ -
Top 5 Things to Know about the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Education: The San Diego Zoo Safari Park has educational programs and camps for kids and families ready to learn more about the wonderful animals here.
- Animal Conservation: The San Diego Safari Park is one of three campuses used by San Diego Zoo Global for animal conservation so you can go see these animals with the wonderful knowledge that you are supporting a good cause.
- Condors: The California Condor breeding program at the San Diego Safari Park is the most successful program of its kind in the United States.
- Admission: San Diego Zoo Safari Park admission costs vary by package and do provide discounts to children ages 3-11.
- Parking: San Diego Zoo Safari Park has different parking fees depending on the vehicle. Cars & trucks are $12 and RVs are $17. Diamond Club membership (and up) park for free - all other members get a $3 discount (must have valid ID). Preferred parking is available on holidays and weeks for an additional $15.
Why It's Awesome: We love the San Diego Zoo Safari Park because of its emphasis is on conservation and making a difference in the lives of endangered animals. Not to mention the great perks that we get from learning more about these awesome animals, getting exercise in the warm sun and seeing sights that aren't possible anywhere else in the area, besides San Diego!
- Natural Environment: OK, so the animals at San Diego Safari Park are not actually in their natural environment but the recreated habitats are as close as we can get in Southern California, and the park does a great job at authenticity which is awesome to see so close to home.
- Education Department: The Safari Park San Diego has a strong emphasis on education and lots of great programs to teach kids and adults about animal awareness and conservation. Not only will the whole family enjoy seeing the animals here, but they'll learn great facts about them too!
- Safari Park Membership: Becoming a member of the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Safari Park means you can enjoy the parks all year round for one price. It also includes a subscription to the ZooNooz Magazine, discounted tickets for friends, and other great deals.
The Local Scoop:The Safari Park San Diego is exceptional because it is designed to allow animals to live in a more natural environment than your typical zoo. The exhibits are large and spread out so it takes a lot of walking to get around. The best way to experience the San Diego Zoo Safari Park is by taking advantage of the tours and trams.
- Do wear comfortable shoes: Safari Park San Diego is spread out over 1,800 acres and requires a fair share of walking in order to full experience the park. Leave those fashionable high heels at home for this San Diego attraction!
- Do take the Africa Tram Safari: It's pretty incredible that we can experience the plains of Africa right here in San Diego. Don't miss the Africa Tram Safari at Safari Park San Diego for an adventure you'll never forget.
- Don't forget the sunscreen: The San Diego Safari Park is located in the San Pasqual Valley region of San Diego and often reaches high temperatures and intense sun year round. This is a great thing in the winter when a warm escape is ideal, but it does mean that sunscreen is always needed year-round.
- Don't go in the middle of Summer: Unless you really love to sweat, don't plan your trip for the hottest day of the year. Spring and Fall are the best times for a fun day at Safari Park San Diego.
A Few Featured Park Exhibits
- African Plains: The largest exhibit at San Diego Safari Park, the African plains, are home to elephants, rhinos, giraffes, and many other amazing endangered species interacting with each other.
- Asian Savanna: The Asian Savanna is great example of animal life on the Asian continent. Catch a glimpse of Przwalski’s horses, multiple species of deer, and one-horned rhinos just to name a few.
- Condor Ridge: Catch a rare glimpse at one of our native bird species; the California Condor is the largest North American land bird and was once on the brink of extinction. The San Diego Zoo Safari Park started a captive breeding program and started reintroducing the California Condor to the wild in 1991.
- Tiger Territory: View the world’s largest carnivore at the San Diego Safari Park from a viewing platform, giving you the best chance to see these majestic animals.
- Elephant Valley: Enjoy a great look at the large herd of African Elephants from the Elephant Valley viewing platform.
- African Outpost: As the starting point for Safari tours, the African Outpost is home to cheetahs, flamingos, and warthogs.
- Gorilla Forest: It’s always exciting at the Gorilla Forest! Watch gorillas play and interact in this lush San Diego Safari Park exhibit.