Leftover Turkey Recipes - San Diego top chefs give new purpose with three recipes
Recipe by Su-Mei Yu
3737 India Street
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 fresh bird chiles, or 8 Serrano chiles, half seeded, half not, and minced
- Juice of 2 limes, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain jasmine rice
- 4 cup roast turkey, finely chopped, with or without skin
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 3 shallot, minced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 cup arugula, or watercress
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced into thin strands, or zest of 2 limes
- ¼ cup minced cilantro leaves
- 12 sprigs mint, leaves only, slightly torn One head butter lettuce, separated
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
To make the dressing, combine the sea salt, fish sauce and sugar in a small saucepan and heat over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer the mixture to a small mixing bowl and cool. Then add the garlic, chiles and lime juice. Stir to mix and set aside.
Place the rice in a small skillet over medium-heat heat. Roast for 7 to 10 minutes, shaking the skillet frequently and stirring with a wooden spoon to ensure even cooking. When the rice grains are golden, remove from the stove and let cool.
Grind the rice in a coffee or spice grinder until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the roast turkey with the ginger, the dressing and set aside for 10 minutes.
Just before serving, add the roasted rice powder, crushed red pepper to the turkey and mix gently. Add the shallots, scallions, arugula, and kaffir lime leaves, and toss gently but thoroughly. Add the cilantro and mint leaves and toss again. Taste for a balance of spicy-sour-salty, and adjust as necessary. Put a couple of heaping tablespoons into the butter lettuce leaves. Garnish with a sliced cherry tomato half and serve.
Recipe by Isadoro Balistreri
The Godfather Restaurant
7878 Clairemont Mesa Boulivard
Fettuccine Con Tacchino
- 1 ½ lbs. Pasta
- 1 Chopped onion
- 1 ½ lbs. leftover turkey
- ½ cup pinot grigio wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
Sautee the onions, when transparent, add the turkey and stir together. Add chicken stock, tomato, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix with the cooked pasta, and enjoy.
Farfalle Pasta Salad
- 1 ½ lbs. cooked, then chilled pasta
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped black olives
- 1 cup chopped green olives
- ½ red onion
- ¼ cup capers
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white Italian wine ½ cup white wine vinegar
- Tablespoon oregano
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1-3 pinches salt
Sautee the garlic with left over turkey and olive oil. Add the chicken stock, wine and vinegar, bell peppers, mix, and let cool down. When cool, add to the cold pasta, and add salt and pepper, capers, onion, and oregano. Mix and serve.
- City: San Diego
- Name: Saffron/The Godfather