Unique Things To Do Only in La Jolla
Our part of San Diego is known for great beaches, restaurants, and shopping. In addition, here are my Top Ten Favorite Only-in-La Jolla Activities:
1. Take a surf lesson. Surf Diva in La Jolla Shores is the world's No. 1 surf school for women - and they also offer co-ed surf camps for would-be surfers ages 5-17. Established in 1996 by twin sisters Izzy and Coco Tihanyi, Surf Diva also has a beachy clothing boutique on Avenida de la Playa.
2. Go hiking in Torrey Pines State Reserve. Of the eight short trails, my favorite is the Beach Trail: walk uphill to the park headquarters and then follow the trail down to the beach.
3.Savor UC San Diego's award winning architecture. The gorgeous Geisel Library is named for Dr. Seuss - a long-time La Jolla resident. Do a self-guided tour at any time, and for a limited time UCSD is also offering free guided tours.
4. Do a tandem Paraglide or hang glide at Torrey Pines Glider Port. You could also just go and watch others jump off the sandstone cliffs and glide gracefully over the ocean.
5. Hit a bucket of balls at Torrey Pines Golf Course - the site of the 2008 U. S. Open and the annual Farmers Insurance Open. It's challenging to get a tee time on the two championship courses, but anyone can practice their swing.
6. Check out the seals at The Children's Pool and the sea lions at The La Jolla Cove. They're cute and controversial.
7. Snorkel in the San Diego La Jolla Underwater Park. Look for Garabaldi, our state fish, and giant sea bass. The more than 6,000-acre reserve stretches from south of The La Jolla Cove to north of Torrey Pines State Reserve.
8. Enjoy a self-guided walking tour along the coast.
9. Browse the La Jolla Open Aire Market on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Known to locals as simply the Farmer's market, this is a great spot to shop for picnic ingredients and gifts - and have lunch.
10. Watch the grunion run. You can go on your own or join a group from Birch Aquarium.
- City: San Diego