SOMA San Diego
SOMA San Diego
San Diego, CA 92110
SOMA San Diego Information+ -
Top 5 Things to Know About SOMA San Diego
- All Ages: SOMA San Diego invites guests of all ages to jam out at the punk and rock concert venue. Audience members at SOMA usually range between the ages of 13 and 24.
- Booking a Show: If you play at least three original songs and are able to rock a 20-minute set, then you're invited to send your tunes to the booking staff or drop off your demo at San Diego SOMA to be considered for a show. Local talent can also submit their band's web site for SOMA's band list page, which showcases San Diego's local beats.
- Parking: San Diego SOMA concert venue includes free parking in the lot on the north side of the venue. Additional parking free of charge is available in front of SOMA in the strip mall parking spaces.
- Tickets: SOMA San Diego box office is open on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5:30pm until 7:30pm and on show days from 4pm to 10pm. Tickets are also available for purchase online.
- Drug and Alcohol Free: San Diego SOMA is committed to working within the San Diego community to help promote youth involvement in the music industry while encouraging a safe, drug and alcohol free atmosphere. SOMA San Diego also proudly supports several organizations such as Stand Up For Kids and Street of Dreams, which are focused on helping at-risk youth through the music medium.
SOMA in San Diego was originally located in Downtown just south of Market Street, from which the venue originally derived its name, "SO" from south and the "MA" in Market. In 2002, the concert venue relocated near Ocean Beach, where it turned a former multiplex movie theater into a punk rock concert hall. After knocking down a few walls and removing the theater seats, San Diego SOMA turned up the volume in the auditorium. Where moviegoers once sat in silence, music fans now dance, sing and rock out to the local talent in the stripped down theater. Glimpses of the old movie house are still present at the venue creating a unique vibe, as the old projection rooms have been transformed into dressing rooms for the band members, and instead of selling popcorn the snack bar now promotes band and SOMA merchandise.
SOMA in San Diego listens out for local artists as the live music venue is dedicated to educating rising stars on how to market themselves in the music industry. San Diego SOMA hosts various indie, hardcore and punk rock bands touring through the area and homegrown San Diego talent as well. Local bands such as El Cajon natives Real Things Are Good have graced the SOMA stage under the same spotlights as famous performers like post-rock band Explosions in the Sky. SOMA San Diego creates an opportunity for music artists to hear their fans' cheers for the first time or for successful bands to return to their stomping grounds.
- Do Send in Your Demos: The SOMA staff is eager to hear your jams and to help build your fan base.
- Don't Mosh: While SOMA San Diego encourages fans to dance their hearts out, the venue asks that audience members refrain from moshing and crowd surfing to ensure the safety of everyone.
- Cover Charger: Prices vary depending on concert.
- Alcohol: No bar
- Attire: Casual
- Age Restriction: All ages