Café 21 – Gaslamp
Café 21 – Gaslamp
San Diego, CA 92101
Café 21 – Gaslamp Information+ -
Quick Facts About Cafe 21:
- San Diego's Cafe 21 in the Gaslamp District is open daily at 8am serving up breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner.
- San Diego Cafe 21 is owned by husband and wife Alex and Leyla who originally began their business selling homemade baklava for a friend's Persian restaurant. Their baked goods were such a success that Alex and Leyla decided to open their own restaurant.
- Cafe 21's gourmet menu is inspired by the owners' Azerbaijan roots. Azerbaijan is a Eurasian country that is located to the south of Russia and to the north of Iran.
Ambiance: San Diego Cafe 21 in the Gaslamp welcomes guests to dine in an intimate setting with low lighting and traditional Eurasian decor. Pitchers of chilled sangria filled with fresh fruit line the walls inviting guests to cool down on a warm San Diego day. Guests can sit outside on the street-side patio with a plate of tiramisu pancakes while watching the world go by, or they can grab an private table for two in the corner.
Why We Dine: San Diego's Cafe 21 serves up simple dishes with a touch of exotic flavor and culturally inspired flair. The Azerbaijan infusion can be sensed in the kabob platter and the cumin grilled hen, however the main attraction is that the dishes are made from scratch with local ingredients giving you a straight from the farm to your table dining experience. The organic teas, which brew in front of you, paired with the homemade meals make you feel at home.
- Local: Cafe 21 in San Diego cooks with fresh produce and ingredients from local farmers and small businesses. The cafe notifies guests with a catchy rhyme, "We change our menu nightly, sometimes a lot, sometimes slightly!" to reflect the local and mostly organic ingredients that are available and in season.
- Homemade: San Diego's Cafe 21 meals are created from scratch and the restaurant prides itself on not using preservatives. The cafe serves up warm home cooked bread and hand crafted crepes that give guests that cozy feeling of eating at Grandma's house.
- Organic Tea: The cafe has an entire menu dedicated to organic teas including black, white, green and even red. San Diego Cafe 21 guests have the preference of hot or cold served tea and a variety of options from traditional black Earl Grey to Red Mango and green Chocolate Mint.
The Local Scoop: Be sure to check out the brunch menu at San Diego Cafe 21. The cafe serves up omelets, Monte Cristo sandwiches, crepes and much more until 3pm, which is a great find as its rare for a Gaslamp District restaurant to serve up brunch that late in the afternoon.
- Azerbaijan Style Kabob Platter: This meal is reminiscent of the owners' roots as it is a combination of Azeri style seasoned chicken, homemade lamb sausage and beef kabobs served with curry almond basmati rice pilaf, pickled vegetables and dip du jour.
- Chicken Crepes: Stuffed with roasted chicken breast, onions, mozzarella and feta, this savory homemade crepe is sure to get your morning started off on the right foot.
- Cuisine: International
- Alcohol: Full Bar
- Reservations: Accepts reservations
- Price: $$