La Jolla, CA 92122
Cafe Japengo Information+ -
Quick Facts About Cafe Japengo:
- Cafe Japengo in San Diego serves Asian-infused cuisine.
- San Diego Magazine has voted Cafe Japengo "Best Sushi Bar" for seven consecutive years.
- California Restaurant Association's Gold Medallion Award committee has also honored San Diego's Cafe Japengo with the title of "Best Sushi Bar" for the past eight years in a row.
Ambiance: San Diego Cafe Japengo is nestled in the Restaurant Village of the Aventine in La Jolla. The restaurant includes Asian-style furniture and a rich warm wooden decor with international accents and bamboo plants. The trendy and contemporary restaurant features a lounge-like atmosphere with both a bar area and an outdoor patio where guests can enjoy the happy hour specials.
Why We Dine: San Diego Cafe Japengo offers a variety of options from its gluten-free menu to its exciting desserts and unique sushi roll options. The Asian restaurant's innovative menu sets its apart from other Japanese inspired restaurants as it tempts guests with gluten-free options like the fire-roasted oysters that are served with lemongrass beurre blanc, braised leeks and flying fish caviar or the fifty/fifty roll, which is stuffed with cucumber and crab meat and topped with salmon, yellow-tail, lemon, green onion and a ponzu sauce.
- Gluten-Free Menu: San Diego Cafe Japengo caters to guests with special dietary needs as it offers a gluten-free menu. Guests can indulge in dishes such as the seared jumbo scallops and Thai chicken salad without worrying about the ingredients. Additionally, gluten-free guests can request options from the sushi menu and ask for the organic tamari instead of soy sauce.
- Asian-Infused Desserts: You won't find boring chocolate brownies or simple plain ice cream on San Diego's Cafe Japengo dessert menu. Instead San Diego Cafe Japengo features Asian-inspired desserts such as the tempura banana, which is topped with vanilla ice cream, chocolate ganache and caramel sauce or the pan fried bread pudding that includes poached Asian pears, caramel sauce and a tropical coconut gelato. If you're really feeling daring, give the lemon cheesecake spring rolls or the mango chili chutney a try!
- Sushi Rolls: San Diego's Cafe Japengo is adventurous when it comes to its exotic sushi rolls as it serves up pizza rolls, carne asada rolls and a Hawaiian special roll. The San Diego restaurant is also well-known for its tootsie roll, which features soft shell crab with grilled shiitake mushrooms and avocado garnished with Cafe Japengo's famous sake marinade.
The Local Scoop: The sushi chefs at San Diego's Cafe Japengo are on a roll and you can be too! Sushi Chef Warner offers monthly classes that teach sushi lovers how to hand roll their own sushi and provide instruction on where to find the best local fresh ingredients. Sushi students will learn all the sushi making techniques and can even partake in sake tastings.
What We Recommend:
- Miso Butterfish: This unconventional entree is served with Asian truffle broth, shrimp dumplings, jemiji mushrooms, bok choy and gobo root. Pair with the curry dusted calamari appetizer and your belly will be pleased!
- Red Dragon Roll: This sushi roll speciality is stuffed full with tempura shrimp, crab and avocado while its outside is covered in spicy tuna, crunchies and eel sauce. Take the restaurant's sushi making classes and perhaps you'll learn how to make this masterpiece in your own kitchen.
- Cuisine: Asian Fusion
- Alcohol: Full Bar
- Reservation Policy: Accepts reservations
- Price: $$$