San Diego, CA 92110
El Agave Information+ -
Quick Facts About El Agave:
- San Diego's El Agave is located in historic Old Town.
- El Agave in San Diego serves traditional Hispanic-Mexican cuisine.
- San Diego El Agave is open for lunch and dinner every day.
Ambiance: The "tequileria" is the main attraction at San Diego El Agave as intricately designed large and small bottles of tequila sit behind glass cases like exhibits in a museum, while other bottles glow with back lighting. Although the thousands of tequila bottles showcased gain the most attention in this Mexican eatery, brick walls and mood lighting also help to set the scene as couch seating with pillows line the border of the room for comfortable dining.
Why We Dine: San Diego El Agave takes great pride in serving traditional Hispanic-Mexican cuisine that stays true to Mexican roots as it serves meals from diverse regions of Mexico. El Agave also features a "tequileria," which is a museum dedicated to 2,000 different brands of tequila for guests to sample with their tacos and carnitas. With so many tequilas to choose from, the restaurant serves up a variety of unconventional margarita blends with unique flavors like jalapeno and chocolate to ensure you get your tequila kick.
- Traditional Cuisine: San Diego El Agave is committed to preserving and enhancing Hispanic-Mexican traditions through the preparation of meals and the tastes and flavors of the authentic cuisine. The restaurant serves classic Mexican inspired lunch and dinner options such as as bocadillos, enchiladas and its award winning mole.
- Tequila Museum: One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, 2,000 tequila? San Diego's El Agave features a tequila museum of 2,000 different tequila brands to taste as well as intricate bottles to view. El Agave is the only restaurant in San Diego with a 100% certification of tequila by the Tequila Regulation Board.
- Margarita Selection: What else do you do with an extensive tequila collection but make exciting margarita recipes? San Diego El Agave does exactly that, serving five different margaritas from the tropical coconut, ginger peach and tangerine margarita to the spicy jalapeno cilantro margarita and the decadent chocolate cocktail.
The Local Scoop: Join El Agave's email CLUB and receive the inside scoop about updates on events, new dishes and specials. The restaurant also sends out emails concerning upcoming tequila tastings with El Agave's tequilier.
What We Recommend:
- Jalapeno Cilantro Margarita: Made with El Agaves's very own Tequila El Agave Artesanal Silver, this fiery cocktail is mixed with fresh jalapeno peppers, cilantro, agave nectar, lime juice and orange liqueur to top it all off.
- Tampiquenas: This classic Mexican carne dish is a grilled tender flat fillet served with poblano chili strips, black beans and guacamole, which would taste excellent with a shot of tequila.
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Alcohol: Full Bar
- Reservation Policy: Reservations accepted
- Price: $$$