Kids Rule This October in San Diego
October is often the time to celebrate the transition from summer to autumn, warm weather to cooler weather, and green leaves to orange leaves, but in San Diego it's the season to honor our kids just the way they are, no changing and no growing older! The month of October in San Diego is dedicated to appreciating the children and finding the inner child in each adult as numerous San Diego locations offer free events for children. Kids can enjoy free meals at certain restaurants and admission free of charge at various popular San Diego attractions.
- San Diego Zoo: The San Diego Zoo offers free admission to children 11 years old and younger during the entire month of October. The usual exhibits such as the Polar Bear Plunge, Elephant Odyssey and Tiger River are open to the public, but additional kid-friendly activities will also take place at the park such as giraffe feeding sessions and close encounters with the meerkats and maned wolves. Children will also get up close and personal with creatures during the animal meet-and-greet sessions with zoo keepers where they will learn about different species and have the opportunity to ask questions. Activity booths are also set up around the zoo where children can challenge themselves to an art contest and learn about conservation and ways they can lend a helping hand to wildlife in need.
- Safari Park: As if visiting the San Diego Safari Park couldn't get any better, now during the month of October kids can visit for free. Want to watch the cheetah reach 70 miles per hour speeds in just 4 seconds? It's free for children. Interested in witnessing a lion sleeping in an acai tree? Well that's free for kids too. Up close views of rhinos bathing, fruit bats hanging and gorillas eating? Free, free and free! Safari Park will host additional events during October such as elephant training sessions, goat petting and a different animal encounter event with the zoo keepers every day.
- SeaWorld: Sure Shamu may be the star of the show at SeaWorld year round, but during October, kids take over the spot light as they're granted free admission into the park. Children have the opportunity to see eye to eye with the various species of sharks in one of the world's largest underwater tunnels and to catch a viewing of the sea lion comedy team. You may have thought what with the acrobatic dolphin show Blue Horizons and riding the thrilling Manta roller coaster for free that SeaWorld couldn't possible be any more fun, but you're in luck because SeaWorld is also hosting Halloween Spooktacular all October long! Children are invited to give their best zombie impressions or dress up in their pirate costumes for trick-or-treating throughout the park. Trick-or-treaters should be sure to visit Penelope's Pumpkinfish Patch where the pumpkin fish live and the Octopus' Candy Garden where lollipops and gumdrops grow. Also don't forget to visit Deadman's Cave to help Captain Lucky find his missing treasure.
- LEGOLAND: During the month of October, kids can stand before the nine-foot LEGO dinosaur named Bronte and browse the largest selection of LEGOS in the world completely free at LEGOLAND. Children also have free access to Dino Island where they can dig up dino bones in the sand pit and ride the Coastersaurus and commandeer free range of MiniUSA, which replicates seven US cities made out of 20 million LEGO bricks. LEGOLAND opens it doors to children to explore Fun Town, Pirate Shores, Land of Adventure and Castle Hill all free of charge.
- Balboa Park Museums: Fourteen museums located in Balboa Park offer free admission to children under 12 years old all October long. Children have the chance to view a historic 1911 Ford Model T Speedster at the San Diego Automotive Museum and witness the Apollo IX Command Module at the Air & Space Museum for free. Children are also eligible for free entry at the Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego History Center and the fSan Diego Model Railroad Museum among others. These museums provide an exciting and educational experience for both children and adults with the added perk of free entry for the kids.
- Activities: San Diego hasn't forgotten about all that antsy built up energy that stirs inside every child, so that's one reason why tours and activities are included in October kids free events. With the purchase of an adult class or ticket, children can swing away that energy on the golf course at Maderas Golf Club and San Vicente Resort or test out the waters on a kayak ride through La Jolla Kayak. If you've got a bunch of dare devils on your hands, the kids will love taking free surf lessons as Surf Diva Surf School. If it's just a unique change of environment you're looking for, take the children out on a free boat tour of the San Diego Harbor on Bahia Belle, a Hornblower cruise or a Flagship cruise line.
- Restaurants: Kids-free October doesn't want the children to go hungry after attending all the fun events, so restaurants include complimentary children meals during the month-long celebration. Children can munch away at Hard Rock Cafe, Croce's Restaurant & Jazz Bar and Chianti Restaurant in addition to various other San Diego eateries. Some San Diego hotels also offer free child entrees at their restaurants such as the Bahia Resort, Days Hotel and the Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa.
With kids-free October, San Diego proves that the kids have way more to be excited about during October than just scary monster and pretty princess costumes, pumpkin patches and haunted hay rides. Challenge yourself to search for your inner child and maybe even play some good old-fashion hooky from work in order to spend the day with the kids. Round up the troops and paint the town red (for free!) in San Diego during the entire month of October.