Last Minute Summer Bucket List
Summer is slowly winding down in San Diego with only one month left to cram in all the last minute to-do's in America's Finest City. We've had some incredible weather and great events but now the pressure is on to make the most out of the last few weeks of our favorite season. Don't miss out on these must do activities to make your San Diego summer complete:
- Beach Bonfire: There is nothing quite like having a bonfire at the beach in San Diego. Fire pits are available during the summer months at many popular San Diego beaches including Ocean Beach, Mission Bay, and Moonlight Beach. Pack up your friends and family, bring some wood and stuff for s'mores and enjoy the sunset and a few hours of a starry night on the beach with a great bonfire before the end of summer!
- Nighttime Zoo: If you haven't already gone to the Nighttime Zoo, this is a must! Ending September 3, the Nighttime Zoo China Celebration features stilt walkers, dancers, musicians and other performers to go along with their extended summer hours. See the animals in a whole new light open until 9pm!
- People Watch in Mission Beach: Although a stroll down the boardwalk in Mission Beach is fun any time of year, it's especially entertaining during the summer months. Droves of tourists head to this popular beach community during summer to frolic, play beach volleyball and lay in the sand. People watching doesn't get any better than the Mission Beach boardwalk where you can catch a glimpse of locals and visitors interacting against the beautiful backdrop of the Pacific. Take a spin on the Giant Dipper at Belmont Park while you're at it for an adreneline rush just steps from the water.
- Watch a Free Concert In La Jolla: La Jolla Concerts by the Sea are completely free every Sunday afternoon from 2pm - 4pm until Sept. 2! Bring a blanket to sit on and some snacks for an afternoon of live music from the likes of Big Time Operator and boogie woogie band, Sue Palmer and Her Motel Swing Orchestra at La Jolla Cove.
- Learn To Surf: It's never too late to rent a board and learn how to surf in San Diego. Summer is perfect for the first time surfer with small waves and warm water, just watch out for seasonal jellyfish and sting rays. Having lived in San Diego for 28 years, I have only been stung by a sting ray once so don't let that scare you. Book a surf lesson from one of the many shops in town (I recommend Ocean Beach Surf and Skate for quality kids surf and skate camps), rent a board and become the next Kelly Slater this summer in San Diego!
- Free Entertainment at Seaport Village: Every day until September 30th Seaport Village will have live entertainment from 12pm - 4pm. Head down to this gorgeous waterfront San Diego attraction with fun shopping, good restaurants and live music for a fun day in sunny San Diego.
- Catch a Padres Game: Summertime is baseball season in San Diego with the Padres swinging away in Petco Park. Make sure to buy tickets to a Padres game at this great downtown ballpark. Eat a hot dog and enjoy this quaint and classic San Diego stadium. Head over to downtown hot spot Altitude Lounge for a cocktail after the game with a gorgeous view of the downtown San Diego skyline.
Well, there you have it. My suggestions for the last minute must-dos of Summer 2012 in San Diego. Take advantage of the gorgeous weather (not like it isn't gorgeous all year round), warm oceans and fun events in San Diego before summer is over!