A Trip to the Magical Kingdom
I think we can all agree that Disneyland truly is the happiest place on earth. It does not matter if you are five or twenty-five, everyone can have a great time at Disney. My husband and I had the pleasure of visiting both Disneyland parks in Anaheim, CA this past week. We went the perfect time (End of August) when everyone was back to school and the only other visitors seem to be from other countries. This made the lines rather short and allowed us to maximize our time.
Both parks are phenomenal and highly recommended. Here are some of the highlights from each park!
Oh, the nostalgia of the classical Disneyland Park. As I wandered around this park, I found my best memories were in Tomorrowland. Seeing Space Mountain and Star Tours just warmed my heart with memories of my family taking trips to Disney. I will note that I did not enjoy Space Mountain as much as I had when I was a kid. There is something about being on a really fast rollercoaster in pitch dark that scares me more as an adult.
The Pirates of the Caribbean attraction is always a fan favorite and a must see when you go to this park. The 16-minute ride is perfect for those that need a little break from walking around all day and who love the charming and sensational Johnny Depp character ‘Captain Jack Sparrow’ (cue to swoon).
[side note: we were very sad to discover that the Haunted Mansion and Matterhorn attractions were closed for updates, but excited that they are scheduled to re-open in September with new features.]
California Adventure Park
It has been over ten years since I have been to Disney California Adventure Park and wow was this place amazing! The rides and attractions are definitely worth getting the park hopper tickets. Our surprise favorite attraction was CARS! Oh my word, if you love cars you need to go to the California Adventure Park and see Radiator Springs. Everything about the city comes to life from Flo’s V8 Café and The Cozy Cone Motel to Luigi’s Casa Della Tires and Fillmore’s Taste-In. Every inch of that town made me squeal. You feel like you are right in the smack middle of the movie.
While we wandered around Radiator Springs, we came up to the CARS Racetrack where you get to race like a true racer! We highly recommend this ride and won’t spoil any of the adorable detail. However, we really recommend you get the Fast Pass, as this line is traditionally very long.
Guardians of the Galaxy was our second favorite highlight of the California Adventure Park. This attractions location was home to the Tower of Terror, but recently updated to an exciting drop ride that follows the cast of the Guardians of the Galaxy through the hide out of Taneleer Tivan. If you enjoy rides that lift you up and out of your seats this is the ride for you! I personally enjoyed the unexpected ups and downs of this ride (there are many), but my husband did not.
Here are some Disney tips to get you through a trip to Disneyland in Anaheim, California!
- Single Riders: I didn’t even know that single riding, when you choose to get on a ride solo and not in a group, was a thing until this trip. If you and your friends are cool with experiencing Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and the Matterhorn solo and then scream over the details after, then you should totally do the single rider option and here is why.
- NO LONG LINES. My friends and I blew through 3 major attractions in one hour!
- EXIT is your ENTRANCE. If you ride a ride and immediately want to go on it again, you just find the single riders line as you exit.
- FOCUS ON THE RIDE. When you ride by yourself, it is just you and the ride. You really get to focus on the ride and enjoy the magic of Disney!
- Disney Lets You Bring In Outside Food: If you are not looking to spend big bucks on food and drinks at Disney, don’t worry you do not need to sneak food in. Disney lets you bring in all different types of refreshments. The one thing I did see is that you absolutely can’t bring in is glass. NO GLASS containers, bottles, etc. So, if you have a glass water bottle, ditch it for the day.
- Take the Disney Train: As many know, the classic Disneyland Park is a big theme park (bigger than the California Adventure Park), so running from one ride to the next can be exhausting at times. I recommend you take the train to different parts of the park instead of traveling through the middle. On the train, you get to hear fun facts about the park and displays while you enjoy a quick coast through the different towns.
- FAST PASS: Talk about fun maximizers! Fast Passes are a great way to skip a long line and come back at a scheduled time to ride your favorite rides! Quick note about these passes, you can only have one fast pass at a time. For example, if you get a fast pass for Indiana Jones (also highly recommended) to come back and ride between 12pm – 1pm, you have to wait until after 1pm (or after you have ridden the ride) in order to get a fast pass to another ride. So plan ahead of time and plan wisely!
Whenever you plan to take a trip to Disneyland, we hope that you enjoy every moment of your time in the magical kingdom!