Turkey Time in San Diego
- Father Joe's Village Day 5K Walk/Run: You know you'll spend the evening loosening your belt and shielding your loved ones from bursting pant's buttons during San Diego Thanksgiving dinner, so why not spend your morning burning a few calories in preparation? Father Joe's Village Day 5K Walk/Run provides you with the perfect way to get your heart pumping while raising awareness for homelessness at the same time. On Thanksgiving morning meet at Balboa Park, lace up your running shoes and remember the meaning of the holiday as you give thanks and give back.
- Hornblower Thanksgiving Buffet Dinner Cruise: If the decision making process as to who's house this year's San Diego Thanksgiving dinner is being held at has led to childish games like "eenie meenie minie mo," then it might be time to book a Hornblower cruise. The cruise line removes all the stress of hosting Thanksgiving at your home as it invites you and your family aboard its 2.5 hour yacht tour around the San Diego Bay. No one will bicker over who gets to carve the turkey or who burned the biscuits because you will all be too busy taking in the sights, sipping on champagne and scarfing down the herb stuffing.
- Mother Goose Parade: What's good for the goose is good for the gander, and the Mother Goose Parade is no exception! Turkeys scoot over and make room for the Mother Goose Queen and Court at this annual parade that takes place every Sunday before Thanksgiving in El Cajon. The parade originally began in 1947 as a "gift to the children of East County," and it has since become the biggest parade in San Diego, but also the largest of its kind west of the Mississippi attracting an expected 400,000 spectators. Gather up your own goslings and waddle over to the parade to cheer for the floats, marching bands and performing artists and don't forget to keep an eye out for Santa Claus!
- San Diego Thanksgiving Dixieland Jazz Festival: This five day jazz festival will finally give you the opportunity to show off your turkey trot as it features a Ragtime Extravaganza! Even if your dance skills are more on par with a bobbing turkey than a graceful ballroom dancer, you'll still have a blast swing dancing and tapping your feet to the numerous talented jazz musicians and orchestras. Head over to the Town & Country Hotel and Convention Center between November 22 and 26, and be thankful for all that traditional, dixieland and swing jazz music!
- Hotel Del Coronado Thanksgiving Dinner: This Thanksgiving, dine at the grand Hotel Del Coronado where some of the most famous faces in history have made appearances. This historic seaside resort has welcomed royalty, presidents and Hollywood starlets, and now it's inviting you to celebrate Thanksgiving in its oceanfront ballroom and its elegant Crown Room. Gobble til you wobble at this dinner buffet with all-you-can-eat decadent selections from the slow roasted free range turkey, butternut squash bisque and cinnamon citrus cranberry sauce to the roasted garlic whipped mashed potatoes and brandied giblet gravy.
Whether you decide to carve one of these events into your busy San Diego Thanksgiving schedule or you plan to stuff in an activity before your traditional turkey time at home, we hope you have a safe and happy Thanksgiving in San Diego!