Health & Beauty
In the city of San Diego, people take health and beauty seriously. Locals enjoy an amazing array of outdoor activities, fitness centers, spas and beauty treatments that haven’t become available in other cities. San Diego is also home to leading wellness experts that are developing new services to help people feel and look their best.
San Diego Med Spas
San Diego has one of the country's highest concentrations of plastic surgeons, but enhancing natural beauty doesn’t require going under the knife. If you want to focus on health and beauty, a med spa is the place to do it, and in San Diego, the services go well beyond facials and injectables.
These spas prove there are a lot of different ways to get much-needed R&R that will have you feeling your best inside and out. Local med spas emphasize treating the body, mind and spirit for total revitalization. Beauty Kliniek Aromatherapy Day Spa, one of the top spas in San Diego, specializes in sensory services in an aromatic environment. Guests can enjoy traditional spa treatments and innovative services like total body vibration and decongestion therapy.
San Diego Gyms and Fitness Centers
San Diego is also one of the fittest cities in the country. The American Fitness Index found that a higher percentage of San Diegans exercise than the general public. It's ingrained in the local culture, partly because the local environment is conducive to working out year-round. In San Diego, open-air gyms aren’t just a novelty. Many facilities have outdoor workout areas that take advantage of the amazing weather.
If socializing is a part of your fitness regimen, you can find your fitness tribe in the city, even if you’re a yogi that likes an occasional adult beverage. You can visit Eppig Brewing on Saturday for a yoga session followed by a beer with the rest of the group. It’s one of a number of breweries that host weekend beer yoga. The activity is so popular in San Diego there are even social clubs for it.
Hiking and Biking Around San Diego
San Diego is known for many things, but it’s probably most famous for having some of the most beautiful terrain in the country. It offers people spectacular views and an opportunity to get fit without a gym membership. From the elevated trails at Torrey Pines State Natural Preserve to the urban bike paths around Balboa Park, you’ll get your heart rate up and benefit from being out in nature.
Cannabis Dispensaries in San Diego
After so many clinical studies, it’s undeniable that cannabis can provide medicinal benefits. California was a frontrunner in legalizing marijuana for those 21 and over for medical and recreational purposes, although the therapeutic benefits are beneficial either way.
Customers will find virtually every type of cannabis product at San Diego dispensaries, including low to no-THC options that are strictly medicinal. There are also balms that can be rubbed on joints for pain relief, hydrating beverages with CBD and edibles that eliminate the health concerns of vaping or smoking. The local cannabis dispensaries are a great example of how locals prioritize health and wellness without resorting to more unnatural interventions.
San Diego Beauty and Shopping
San Diego is a great destination for incredible shopping and spa services. SanDiego.com has the top San Diego beauty and shopping locations to keep visitors looking their best on a stylish vacation. Whether you are in the market for a hot new swimsuit or hair style, these listings of San Diego beauty and shopping destinations will have the right store or spa for you!
San Diego shopping malls are more than just a string of stores persuading you to buy into the latest trend. They offer a comfortable and safe shopping experience to visitors, as well as a variety of savory San Diego restaurants. Whether you frequent the mall only on occasion or everyday, we all share memories of visiting a shopping center in San Diego.
As a teenager, many may remember flocking to the nearest San Diego shopping mall to hang out with their friends on the weekends. Although at the time, many probably didn't have much money to shop, hours could be spent browsing different stores and trying on trendy clothes and shoes before stopping for a quick bite to eat in the food court.
During the holiday season, San Diego shopping and outlet malls come alive with jolly tunes, glistening lights, hanging garland, bows and more. With extended holiday hours and special sales, visitors can check off everyone on their holiday list all in one place while shopping in San Diego.
San Diego is home to many great shopping malls, outlets and San Diego beauty spas. Whether you are looking for high fashion boutiques, name-brand stores or great deals, San Diego shopping offers something to fit everyone’s unique style and budget.
Browse through some of the best shopping malls, outlets and spas for a great San Diego shopping vacation.
Best Shopping in San Diego
- Otay Ranch Town Center: This fairly new shopping center opened in Chula Vista in 2006 and is home to dozens of women’s, men’s and children’s clothing stores and boutiques, accessories, shoes, department stores, restaurants and cafes. This open air San Diego shopping center is dog-friendly and provides a dog park, children’s “chalk garden,” food court and AMC movie theater. Visitors can also find a savory mix of restaurants including the Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Changs, Chili’s, Macaroni Grill and El Vitral. 2015 Birch Rd., Chula Vista, CA 91915
- Westfield Plaza Bonita Mall: This renovated indoor shopping center is bigger and better than ever. Now featuring a large food court, AMC movie theater and Target store, Plaza Bonita Mall has it all including dozens of name-brand clothing stores, shoes, accessories and jewelry stores, perfect for a San Diego shopping vacation. Visitors will also find a variety of chain restaurants including Applebee's, Outback Steakhouse, Johnny Rockets, El Torito and Red Robin and more. 3030 Plaza Bonita Rd., National City, CA 91950
- Horton Plaza Mall: Located in the heart of downtown San Diego, this open air shopping center is a maze filled with name-brand department stores, and restaurants. Horton Plaza offers three hours of free parking (with a validated ticket), so you can enjoy hours of browsing and shopping in San Diego at your favorite clothing stores and boutiques. Shoppers can also take a break and catch the latest film at the Horton Plaza Cinema Times. 119 Horton Plaza, San Diego, CA 92101
- Fashion Valley: This upscale San Diego shopping center features dozens of luxury boutiques and jewelry stores including Tiffany & Co., TOUS, Swarovski Crystal, Gucci, Coach and Louis Vuitton, Jimmy Choo and Rolex, among others. Visitors can shop until their hearts content and take a break for lunch or dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, True Food, P.F. Changs or Love Boat Sushi. Fashion Valley Mall also features dozens of brand-name department stores and AMC movie theater. 7007 Friars Rd., San Diego, CA 92108
- Westfield UTC: Located in the beautiful beach community of La Jolla is another open air shopping center known for its boutiques and clothing stores. At Westfield UTC, San Diego shoppers can find stores like the Apple Store, Nordstrom, Aldo, Victoria’s Secret and Coach. Restaurants and treats you can find at UTC include See’s Candies, Godiva Chocolatier, Boudin Sourdough Bakery and Cafe, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Panda Express. 4545 La Jolla Village Dr., La Jolla, CA 92122
San Diego Outlet Malls
- Las Americas Premium Outlets: Bargain shoppers will have hours of fun shopping at Las Americas Premium Outlets in South Bay. This outdoor San Diego shopping center features more than 125 factory outlet stores including Coach, Banana Republic, BCBG Max Azria, Calvin Klein, Guess, J. Crew, Kenneth Cole, Nike, Polo Ralph Lauren, Sony and more. Shoppers can find hundreds of name-brand goods at low prices, making Las Americas Premium Outlets one of the biggest San Diego outlet malls. 4211 Camino De La Plz., San Ysidro, CA 92173
- Viejas Outlet: Combining shopping and gambling, Viejas Outlet accomplishes that quite well while still catering to families and tourists. Whether you are into gambling or shopping or both, visitors can spend the day walking outdoors and scoping out the best deals at this San Diego outlet mall. During the summertime, visitors can enjoy outdoor concerts and kids can cool off in the giant interactive water fountain in the center of the food court after a long day of shopping in San Diego. 5005 Willows Rd., Alpine, CA 91901
- Carlsbad Premium Outlets: Located in North County, Carlsbad Premium Outlets is another prime spot for cheap shopping in San Diego. Featuring stores like Barneys New York, Crate and Barrel, Juicy Couture, Lacoste, Michael Kors, Salvatore Ferragamo and Tommy Hilfiger, visitors can find their favorite name-brand items at low factory prices while shopping in San Diego. 5620 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad, CA 92008
San Diego Spas
Everyone could use a little rest and relaxation every once in awhile and while you may have your own ways to unwind, here are some of the best San Diego spas.
- Spa Brezza: Located inside the Hilton San Diego Resort in Mission Bay, Spa Brezza combines a tranquil environment and soothing massage therapy treatments. This full service San Diego spa offers deluxe pedicures and manicures, rejuvenating facials and body scrubs. Those with children can treat them to a spa day as well. Spa Brezza offers a special kids menu with manicures, pedicures, massages and facials. Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, 1775 East Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109
- Spa L’Auberge: Take a day to pamper yourself at this San Diego spa found inside the L’Auberge in Del Mar. Visitors will leave this luxury spa feeling completely relaxed and rejuvenated. Offering seaside sojourns, body treatments, skincare and facial treatments, massages and salon services, Spa L’Auberge is a one-stop in ultimate relaxation. L'Auberge Del Mar, 1540 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, CA 92014