Jet Skiing in San Diego
If you’re a thrill junkie looking to rip across the open waters of San Diego Bay or Mission Bay, you must hop on board a Yamaha VX1100 Waverunner and prepare for the rush of a lifetime.
Jet skiing is everything you might imagine. Powerful four-cylinder state-of-the-art watercraft can propel you across the water at dizzying speeds or take you on gentle water cruises to see San Diego as few others can. Jet skis let you explore San Diego’s vibrant waterfront as you glide past the USS Midway Museum, under the Coronado Bridge, or find a secluded beach to escape it all.
Jet skiing is a perfect family outing. Several companies also accommodate large groups celebrating birthdays, corporate outings, anniversaries, and bachelor or bachelorette parties. Friendly operators will gladly work with you to customize your experience for maximum fun and value.
Jet skiing is a blast, but there are some essential things to know before going. Guidelines vary by the operator, so if you’ve got questions, be sure to ask.
- Jet skis are popular, so it's generally best to reserve in advance.
- Drivers must be 16 to 18 years or older, and passengers under ten years old may not be allowed in most cases.
- Drivers must also have a valid driver's license.
- You’ll need to use a major credit card which is kept on file with the operator while you’re on the water, and be prepared to put down a fairly hefty deposit to secure your ride.
- There is a maximum of two or three riders per ski and a weight limit. This varies from provider to provider but generally runs about 350 to 400 lbs.
- Wet suits are provided at no charge in many cases.
- You’ll also be provided with a dry pack to protect your cell phone from the ocean water.
- Fuel is included in most cases, but be sure to ask, so there are no additional upcharge surprises.
You can rent by the hour, half-day, full-day, or weekly. Some operators are open year-round, and others only operate during the busy summer months. There are several reputable companies, and you can snag a deal in Fall for a 75-minute ride under $100 or a two-hour rental for $175.
Show up 30 minutes before your reservation time. Check-in is easy, and you’ll need to go through an operation and safety lesson before hopping on board and heading out. Operators are also the best resources when you’re looking for tips on places to go and sites to see.
Some operators also give renters the option of towing jet skis on a trailer to different locations, which is perfect if you’re heading out for day-long or multiple-day adventures throughout San Diego. Other operators may even trailer tow jet skis to your location for a drop-off and pick-up so that you can maximize your vacation fun.